What’s your usual “impulse eating” situation?
If you’re like most people, your “impulsive” situations are probably pretty routine.
- the grocery store
- the “3 pm brownies in the lunchroom” routine at the office
- wanting a snack in front of the TV
So start anticipating them, and think about how you can stay focused during these situations.
- distract yourself
- accept the feeling, without responding
- get away from the situation
- find other things to do
Remember what’s truly important to you
- What do I want right now?
- What do I ultimately want?
- Am I willing to sacrifice my values and goals for what I want right now?
- Could I wait just a little while? (Sometimes all it takes is 5 minutes of distraction to change your course.)
Write down 3 common situations in which you’re likely to make impulsive — and poor — decisions. How you could anticipate and deal better with each situation?