Rate your hunger
- Imagine a physical hunger scale from 1 to 10.
- 1 is no hunger.
- 10 is the hungriest you’ve ever been, like “My vision is going black and I would eat raw tree bark right now” kind of hunger.
- Before each meal, pause. Ask yourself: Am I physically hungry?
- Rank your physical hunger on a scale from 1 to 10.
- If you’re somewhere around a 7 or higher, go ahead and eat.
- If you’re not there yet, wait a little longer.
Remember that physical hunger comes in waves. So if you feel a wave of hunger, wait for a few minutes and see what happens. It might be a blip.
- If you’re somewhere around a 2 to 3 or lower (which is more or less 80% full), stop. You’re done. Pause. Again, notice what this stopping point feels like. Or what thoughts come up (e.g. “Oh no! I’m wasting food!”).
- If you’re not yet down to a 2 to 3, take another bite. Repeat until you get to something that seems like 80% full. Then stop.Eat slowly, and pause after each bite.
Check in. Notice your body signals. How would you rank your hunger now?
- Notice what 80% full looks and feels like for you.
- What was an 80% full portion size?
- What dish did you use?
- What sensations told you that you were at 80%?
- What foods seem to help you feel fuller for longer?
- How fast or slow did you eat?